- Alberta has technical expertise in a number of geomatics disciplines including geophysical services, as well as surveying and mapping services.
- Geophysical Services – Alberta specializes in locating and measuring subsurface resources such as oil, gas, and minerals. This includes a high variety of surveying techniques such as magnetic surveys, gravity surveys, seismic surveys, and electric/electromagnetic surveys.
- Surveying and Mapping Services – Alberta specializes in mapping out areas about or below the surface of the earth, such as the creation of view easements or segregating rights in parcels of land by creating underground utility easements.
Strong Post-Secondary and Research Capabilities
- The University of Calgary is a recognized research leader in technology for autonomous vehicles, geomatics engineering, data security, aerospace geomatics and transportation systems optimization.
- Alberta has a number of post-secondary institutions with strong geomatics capabilities.
- University of Alberta – Geographical Information Science
- University of Calgary – Geomatics Engineering
- University of Lethbridge – Geographical Information Science
- Northern Alberta Institute of Technology – Geomatics Engineering Technology
- Southern Alberta Institute of Technology – Geomatics Engineering Technology
- Alberta has a very strong academic community in the field of geomatics, which discusses architectural and industrial challenges that extend to various disciplines like AR
- TECTERRA helps Canadian geospatial technology companies achieve commercial success by investing in product development and commercialization.
- Between 2009 and March 2017, TECTERRA has committed investments totalling $40 million, with $28 million in matching funds from industry to generate 337 net-new jobs and $203 million in economic impact.
Business Support Programs - Government of Alberta
AITC is a tax credit for encouraging investment in non-traditional sectors with strong job-creation potential.
A tax credit for businesses conducting R&D leading to new, improved, or technologically advanced products or processes.
Funding programs for Alberta businesses doing research and development in a variety of sectors.
The RCP funding program supports post-secondary institutions in acquiring small equipment and large research infrastructure.
The Export Support Fund reimburses up to 50% of costs on approved export activities for Alberta’s small and medium sized enterprises.
Cybera officers free cloud computing resources to Alberta-based academics, researcher, non-profits and SMEs.
Business Support Programs - Government of Canada
IRAP provides innovation and funding services to accelerate business growth through innovation and technology.
This program allocates repayable and non-repayable contributions to firms of all sizes across all of Canada's industrial and technology sectors.
SR&ED is a federal tax incentive program designed to encourage Canadian businesses of all sizes and in all sectors to conduct research and development in Canada.
CanExport provides financial support to SMEs for development of new export opportunities.
This Government of Canada initiative helps Canadian companies with an existing technology, product or service explore opportunities in foreign markets.
Tecterra provides programs and funding to Alberta companies involved in commercializing geospatial solutions.
AGG acts as a facilitator to promote geomatics innovations amongst the sectors and augment business development opportunities.
URISA is a multi-disciplinary geospatial organization supports the growth of the GIS profession.
ASSMT provides accreditation for qualified individuals involved in surveying, mapping and related geomatics occupations.
ALSA is Alberta’s professional association for land surveyors.
Alberta Innovates is a catalyst for innovation. Innovators, businesses and researchers can easily tap into our collective assets – cross sectoral knowledge and expertise, funding, networks and research facilities.
TEC Edmonton helps to accelerate the growth of emerging technology-based companies in Edmonton.
Platform Calgary works to engage, activate and globalize Calgary’s innovation ecosystem - building upon the city’s potential to become a global hub for startups and innovation.
A list of business incubators in Alberta for a variety of industries.
The Accelerate Fund supports early-stage Alberta technology companies with a venture capital fund that matches angel investment.
ERP provides access for startups and growing companies to workspace, programs, and research communities. They also make land available to companies building research facilities in biotechnology, nanotechnology, clean energy and oil and gas support.
Startup Edmonton supports local entrepreneurs through the provision of mentorship, programs, co-working space and community events.
Startup Calgary provides a variety of events and programs for entrepreneurs in the startup phase.
EED supports economic development in the city of Edmonton.
CED supports economic development in the city of Calgary.
A directory of funding, programs, and services for Alberta innovators.
A directory of service providers for Alberta businesses.
The Government of Canada’s directory of business support programs.
Start Alberta provides a database of companies, investors, and organizations in Alberta.