Where Investment Thrives

United Kingdom

Market Profiles

United Kingdom

In 2017, Alberta exported $135.7M worth of goods to The United Kingdom, making it the 21st ranked country in terms of Alberta's exports.
In 2017, Alberta exported $135.7M worth of goods to The United Kingdom, making it the 21st ranked country in terms of Alberta's exports.
In 2017, Alberta exported $135.7M worth of goods to The United Kingdom, making it the 21st ranked country in terms of Alberta's exports.

About United Kingdom

FAST FACTS

KEY INDUSTRIES Information Icon

ALBERTA EXPORTS TO UNITED KINGDOM Information Icon

VALUE OF ALBERTA EXPORTS TO UNITED KINGDOM
2017
$135.6M
+13.0% y/y
TRADING PARTNER RANK

#21

UNITED KINGDOM IMPORTS Information Icon

VALUE OF UNITED KINGDOM IMPORTS
2016
$576.8B
-41.5% y/y
TOP IMPORT MARKETS
  • 1. Germany 15.4%

  • 2. China 10.3%

  • 3. United States 8%

  • 4. Netherlands 7.7%

  • 5. France 6.1%

ALBERTA-UNITED KINGDOM RELATIONS

  • Traditionally, relations with Britain have been very close, with many Albertans serving in Britain during both the First and Second World Wars, and many more Britons making Alberta their new home throughout the least century. 
  • Alberta's oldest international office opened in London in 1913, with a focus on immigration, trade and investment. 
  • The United Kingdom held a referendum on June 23, 2016 to gauge the country's support for remaining in the European Union. Results were 51.9 per cent voting to leave the EU. The UK government now intends to leave the EU, known as Brexit. The formal process began in the UK triggering Article 50 of the Treaty on European Union in March 2017. This gives the UK and the EU two years to negotiate a new relationship.

Trade Agreements:

  • Canada-European Union Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA): The Canada-Europe Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA) entered into provisional application September 21, 2017. CETA will open new trade opportunities with a block of 500 million consumers accounting for 22 percent of global GDP.

    On implementation 98 percent of tariff lines fell to zero immediately. Of the remaining 2 percent of tariff lines, half will be phased out over the next five to seven years. 99 percent of all products exported to the EU will be duty free.

    On June 23, 2016 the UK voted to leave the EU, with the date for the UK to exit from the EU set for March 29, 2019. However, CETA will continue to apply for exports to the UK during a transition period that is currently set to last until December 31, 2020. Neither Canada nor the UK wish to lose the benefits to trade of CETA and wish to have as smooth a transition as possible to a future Canada - UK free trade agreement. Canadian and British trade officials are currently engaged in technical discussions to try to ensure a seamless transition.

  • Canada-European Union Strategic Partnership Agreement (SPA)